Cancer, unfortunately, has become prevalent in our lives. If you work in a spa, salon or clinical setting, you will inevitably have a client with cancer at some point. Estheticians with the right knowledge and understanding can become an important player in the detection of skin cancer, as well as provide calming skin care treatments for those undergoing cancer treatments. Estheticians can also help resolve oncology-related skin issues and provide a soothing touch and relaxation for any person visiting a spa.
Oncology Esthetics has been written with heartfelt sensitivity in order to give estheticians the information they need to treat clients who are cancer survivors or are undergoing treatment for cancer. Turn to Oncology Esthetics for more information on:
- Gives a thorough overview of different types of cancer, stages and origins.
- Includes illustrations of different types of skin cancer and skin abnormalities.
- Discusses several therapies in detail, including surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy and biologic therapy.
- Each therapy chapter covers the treatments, reactions, side effects and the role the esthetician can play in helping to alleviate symptoms.
- Personal stories are sprinkled throughout the book, describing real-life experiences with clients.
- Lists many of the most common ingredients used in the spa/salon today and how these ingredients might affect the skin of someone with cancer.
Oncology Drug Guide
- Lists many drugs used in treating cancer today.
- Includes helpful tables that indicate the drug, side effects and recommendations for how to approach treatment on clients who are taking these drugs.
Skin Care Products and Spa Services
- Gives suggestions for utilizing the appropriate skin care products during treatment and recovery.
- Discusses different spa services and how they can be modified for the cancer patient.
"...this book and [Currin's] advanced training offer licensed estheticians and massage therapists the value of nurturing touch, skin reactions, esthetic oncology massage, product information and the use of appropriate skin care."
—Toni Muirhead, LMT
"Oncology Esthetics: A Practitioner's Guide by Morag Currin is a fantastic resource, and an indispensable tool for anyone who would like to expand their knowledge of cancer with regard to skin care and stature in the medical esthetic Industry. This book targets topics that have never been covered before. Written by one of the industry's leading experts in skin care, you can consider each chapter practical, clear and concise, and value it as an extremely comprehensive and educational book that will give any reader a wealth of knowledge."
Licensed Esthetician and Professional Postgraduate Skin Care Trainer, Phoenix, Arizona